21 Feb RUSSIA – All about discounts and claims
Promotion to the public and in shops
3818 LE Amersfoort
At a supermarket in St. Petersburg, Russia, discounts are given for wide range of formula products from FrieslandCampina. The range includes Frisolac Gold 1, Friso VOM 1 (Frisov 1) and Friso Gold products. While the Code does not allow promotional devices at the retail level, the use of discounts to induce sales is not only common but blatant.
In Russia, marketing practices of manufacturers and distributors of products fall far below the minimum standard set by the Code.
The Friso Russia website focuses on promoting Frisolac Gold 1, Friso VOM 1 ‘special’ milk formula and Friso Gold range of products by blatantly stating promotional health claims such as:-
- contains key nutrients for brain development and formation of the immune system;
- special fatty acids (DHA / ARA) for development of the brain and vision in children;
- nucleotides to support the immune system;
- prebiotics (galacto-oligosaccharides) for formation of healthy intestinal microflora;
- probiotics (bifidobacteria and lactobacilli) to reduce the risk of intestinal infections, formation of immunity and normal functioning of the gastrointestinal tract; and
- All ingredients for harmonious growth and development of the child.
The company also claims that Friso VOM 1 (Frisov 1) is purportedly a “full-fledged special milk formula for babies with regurgitation, colic and constipation”